Oahu HSTA-R asked to demonstrate/protest State BOE – Negotiate not Mandate
On Tuesday, March 6 the Board of Education is having the General Business Meeting at 1:30 at the DOE Building – 4th Floor Boardroom
- They continue to hold meetings when teachers can’t be there.
- They continue to ignore our requests for later meetings so teachers can be there.
- They are not responding to teacher testimony
- They are making decisions without considering what teachers are saying.
- They have passed policies that circumvent collective bargaining rights
- They have passed a policy that says probationary teachers are “at will” employees and don’t have recourse thru the grievance process which is in the contract
- They are going to decide on the calendar for next school year under an “imposed” agreement.
- They are not allowing the collective bargaining process to proceed unfettered…..THEY ARE NOT LISTENING TO US.
Can our retired teachers come to the DOE Building on Tuesday and hold signs out front of the building with the following messages:
BOE should NEGOTIATE not MANDATE:
- They increased probation period & teachers can be fired without recourse
- Performance evaluation “merit pay” using test scores
- Evaluations used to decide all pay increases
- Removal of teacher planning days from school calendar.
We also want the BOE to be more accountable to the public and more accessible to those they are supposed to be making decisions for….our children and their parents. We are taxpayers and they need to listen.
We would also like our retirees to sit in during the meeting and fill the room, representing the voices of the teachers who are working. We want a presence.